Skip to main content

Addition of new criteria to Sequential Organ Failure Assessment for patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage


Sequential Organ Failure Assessment (SOFA) was originally created for sepsis, but their quality is now used in other medical conditions. Therefore, we add some criteria to the index to assess patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage.


Informed consent for each patient/family; APACHE II (criteria for admission) and SOFA weekly, serum glucose, lactate, calcium, sodium and magnesium; and measurement of axillary temperature and diuresis hourly as the additional prognostic index SOFA. The study enrolled 103 patients diagnosed with SAH, confirmed by computed tomography. These patients were divided into two groups according to their development in the ICU: Group I - patients who had good evolution (out of ICU), and Group II - patients who progressed to death in the ICU.


Among 103 patients, 74 (71.84%) were female and 29 (28.16%) were male. The APACHE II for admission varied from 2 to 34, with an average of 15.5. The spent time maximum in the ICU was 49 days (two patients). Group I had 64 patients (62.14%) and the 39 remaining patients (37.86%) were classified as Group II. See Figures 1 and 2.


Figure 1


Figure 2


We can conclude that the group with patients with SAH is predominantly female (74:29). The APACHE II in Group I was 10.9, while Group II was 17.9. Regarding the criteria used to assess patients with SAH was observed that the only criterion which showed statistical significance in the prediction of death was the serum sodium (P = 0.002). The other criteria evaluated did not have statistical significance in predicting the prognosis of patients.


  1. 1.

    Knobel E: Condutas no Paciente Grave. Volume 1. 3rd edition. São Paulo: Editora Atheneu; 2006:871-883.

    Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information



Corresponding author

Correspondence to S Kiffer Macedo.

Rights and permissions

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Macedo, S.K., Bastos, N.F., Paz, J.F. et al. Addition of new criteria to Sequential Organ Failure Assessment for patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Crit Care 14, P346 (2010).

Download citation


  • Glucose
  • Sodium
  • Calcium
  • Compute Tomography
  • Magnesium