Skip to main content

Advertisement

Addition of new criteria to the Sequential Organ Failure Assessment for the patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage

Introduction

The purpose of the treatment of subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) is to prevent or reverse ischemic disabilities through hemodynamic therapy (4H therapy) [1]. We add some criteria to the index to assess patients with SAH.

Methods

Informed consent for each patient/family, APACHE II score, weekly Sequential Organ Failure Assessment, serum glucose, lactate, calcium, sodium and magnesium, measurement of axillary temperature and hourly diuresis as the additional prognostic index Sequential Organ Failure Assessment were obtained. The study enrolled 91 patients diagnosed with SAH, confirmed by CT in the ICU. The conduct to approach these new criteria was the same in all patients. These patients were divided into two groups according to their development in the ICU: Group I – patients who had satisfactory development (out of the ICU), and Group II – patients who progressed to death.

Results

Among 91 patients, Group I had 55 patients (60.4%) and the 36 remaining patients (39.6%) were classified as a Group II. See Table 1.

Table 1 Results of the criteria examined in the study obtained in both groups

Conclusion

Regarding the criteria used to assess patients with SAH, we concluded the only criteria that showed statistical significance in the prediction of death was the serum sodium (P = 0.002).

References

  1. 1.

    Naval NS, et al.: Controversies in the management of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Crit Care Med 2006, 34: 511-524. 10.1097/01.CCM.0000198331.45998.85

Download references

Author information

Rights and permissions

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Macedo, S., Oliveira, B., Lima, D. et al. Addition of new criteria to the Sequential Organ Failure Assessment for the patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage. Crit Care 13, P96 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1186/cc7260

Download citation

Keywords

  • Public Health
  • Glucose
  • Sodium
  • Calcium
  • Magnesium