- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Incidence of postoperative sore throat and cough: comparison of a polyvinylchloride tube and an armoured tube
© BioMed Central Ltd 2008
- Published: 13 March 2008
- Postoperative Complication
- Caesarean Section
- Emergency Medicine
- Endotracheal Tube
- Sore Throat
One of the common postoperative complications is sore throat and cough. A number of factors may be responsible, namely direct trauma by the airway, the endotracheal tube, and mucosal damage caused by pressure by the cuff hyperinflated by N2O. This complication is minor but distressing to an otherwise healthy patient; different strategies have been proposed to prevent it. They include changes in the technique of intubation, in the endotracheal tube material, and lower cuff pressure.
Mean age (years)
Mean weight (kg)
Frequency of cough and sore throat
The frequency of postoperative sore throat and cough was greater with the use of the polyvinylchloride endotracheal tube.
The study demonstrates that the use of a polyvinylchloride endotracheal tube was associated with a significantly higher incidence of postoperative sore throat and cough.
- Mandoe H, Nikolajsen L: Sore throat after endotracheal intubation. Anesth Analg 1992, 74: 897-900.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stout DM, et al.: Correlation of endotracheal size with sore throat and hoarseness following general anaesthesia. Anesthesiology 1987, 67: 419-421. 10.1097/00000542-198709000-00025PubMedView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Hahnel J, Treiber H: A comparison of diffeent endotracheal tubes. Tracheal cuff seal, peak centering and the incidence of post operative sore throat [in German]. Anaesthetist 1993, 42: 232-237.Google Scholar
- Karaswa F, Mori T: Profile soft-seal cuff, a new endotracheal tube, effectively inhibits an increase in the cuff pressure through high compliance rather than low diffusion of nitrous oxide. Anaesth Analg 2001, 92: 140-144. 10.1097/00000539-200101000-00027View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ouellete RG: The effect of nitrous oxide on laryngeal mask airway. AANA J 2000, 68: 411-414.Google Scholar
- Klemola UM: Postoperative sore throat; effect of lignocaine jelly and spray with endotracheal intubation. Eur J Anaesthesiol 1988, 5: 391-399.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Soltani HA, Aghadavoudi O: The effect of different lignocaine application methods on postoperative cough and sore throat. J Chin Anesth 2002, 14: 15-18. 10.1016/S0952-8180(01)00344-0View ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd.