Skip to main content

Cognitive performance and capacity to return home following out-of-hospital cardiac arrest

Introduction

Before the introduction of primary percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) and therapeutic hypothermia (TH) to out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OOHCA) management, survival to hospital discharge with intact neurological function was poor [1, 2]. We aimed to quantify the survival and degree of neurological impairment in OOHCA patients admitted to our ICU since the adoption of post-OOHCA bundles.

Methods

Sixty-nine consecutive OOHCA patients admitted to the ICU at Hammersmith Hospital from 1 January 2011 to 30 June 2012 were identified and reviewed from hospital databases. Cognitive status was scored using Cerebral Performance Category (CPC); 1 to 2 normal-mild and 3 to 4 moderate-severe neurological impairment. Scores were determined from ICU summaries, occupational and physiotherapy reports. Hospital discharge outcomes were determined from hospital databases.

Results

TH was initiated in 93% (64/69) of OOHCA patients and 87% (40/46) with ischaemic cardiac aetiology underwent PCI. ICU survival was 58% (40/69); 65% (26/40) scoring CPC 1 to 2 and 35% (14/40) CPC 3 to 4 at ICU discharge. Two patients with CPC 2 improved to CPC 1 during their hospital stay. All patients with CPC 1 to 2 survived to hospital discharge; two required general rehabilitation before returning home. Only 43% (6/14) of CPC 3 to 4 patients survived to hospital discharge; none returned home. Two went into hospice care, one was repatriated to another hospital and three went to neuro-rehab. No CPC 3 to 4 patients improved CPC scores after ICU discharge. Overall hospital survival was 46%. See Table 1.

Table 1 Discharge and neurological status of OOHCA patients

Conclusion

OOHCA patients admitted to our ICU had a 46% chance of surviving to hospital discharge. Most patients left hospital with good neurological status (CPC 1 to 2); moderate-severe neurological disability (CPC 3 to 4) was seen in 19%, greater than previously reported [1]. A higher proportion (35%) of patients discharged from the ICU had moderate-severe neurological disability; most subsequently died in hospital (62%). These figures may represent better ICU outcomes subsequent to adoption of OOHCA bundles but suggest further work is required in neuro-disabled survivors.

References

  1. 1.

    Cobbe SM, et al.: BMJ. 1999, 312: 1633-1637.

    Article  Google Scholar 

  2. 2.

    Holzer M, et al.: N Engl J Med. 2002, 346: 549-556.

    Article  Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information

Affiliations

Authors

Corresponding author

Correspondence to J Petrie.

Rights and permissions

This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article's Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article's Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated in a credit line to the data.

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Petrie, J., Lockie, C., Brett, S. et al. Cognitive performance and capacity to return home following out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Crit Care 17, P305 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1186/cc12243

Download citation

Keywords

  • Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
  • Cardiac Arrest
  • Hospital Discharge
  • Neurological Impairment
  • Therapeutic Hypothermia