Skip to main content

Delirium assessment in daily critical care with the CAM-ICU: a multicenter study

Introduction

Delirium occurs frequently in the ICU and is associated with poor outcome. Screening for delirium in ICU patients is recommended by several medical organizations to improve prognosis by early diagnosis and treatment. The Confusion Assessment Method for the ICU (CAM-ICU) has high sensitivity and specificity for delirium when administered by research nurses. However, the test characteristics of the CAM-ICU as performed in routine practice are unclear. The objective of this study is to investigate the diagnostic value of the CAM-ICU in daily practice.

Methods

Teams of three alternating delirium experts including psychiatrists, geriatricians and neurologists visited 10 ICUs twice. Based on cognitive examination, inspection of medical files and DSM-IV-TR criteria for delirium, the expert teams classified patients as awake and not delirious, delirious or comatose. This classification served as the gold standard to which the CAM-ICU as performed by the bedside ICU nurses was compared. Assessors were unaware of each others' conclusions.

Results

Thirteen delirium experts assessed 282 patients, of whom 101 (36%) were classified as comatose and excluded. In the remaining 181 (64%) patients, delirium was diagnosed in 75 by the experts of whom 35 scored CAM-ICU positive. This yielded a sensitivity of 47% (95% CI = 35 to 58%), specificity of 98% (95% CI = 93 to 100%), positive predictive value of 95% (95% CI = 80 to 99%) and negative predictive value of 72% (95% CI = 64 to 79%).

Conclusions

Specificity of the CAM-ICU as performed in routine, daily practice appears to be high but sensitivity low. The low sensitivity hampers early detection of delirium by the CAM-ICU.

Author information

Affiliations

Authors

Corresponding author

Correspondence to MM Van Eijk.

Rights and permissions

This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article's Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article's Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated in a credit line to the data.

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Van Eijk, M., Van den Boogaard, M. & Slooter, A. Delirium assessment in daily critical care with the CAM-ICU: a multicenter study. Crit Care 15, P336 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1186/cc9756

Download citation

Keywords

  • Gold Standard
  • Early Detection
  • Early Diagnosis
  • Emergency Medicine
  • Multicenter Study