Skip to main content

Real-time ultrasound guidance for internal jugular vein catheterization in neonates: preliminary experience

Introduction

Recent studies reported that real-time ultrasound guidance for internal jugular vein catheterization is useful in infants. However, this technique is sometimes difficult even for skilled physicians. The aim of our study is therefore to evaluate the success rate and the complication rate of this technique performed by ultrasound-trained pediatric intensivists in neonates.

Methods

Fifteen consecutive term neonates (mean weight 3.9 ± 1.1 kg) needing a central venous access for intensive care treatment were prospectively studied for ultrasound-guided internal jugular vein cannulation. Patients' age, weight, time for cannulation, catheter size, central venous time permanence, success rate and complications rate were recorded.

Results

Cannulation was successful in all 15 infants. The right internal jugular vein was used in 90% of the patients enrolled, while in the remaining 10% the left internal jugular vein was used. The overall complication rate was 22%. We had only one major complication (2%): lung pneumothorax. Minor complications were: multiple skin and vein punctures (9%), Seldinger wire kinking (7%) and venous hematomas (4%). Time required for complete cannulation was 8 ± 4.3 minutes, while the mean duration of the central venous catheter was 5 ± 5 days.

Conclusions

Our results suggest that ultrasound assistance for central vein cannulation can be easily performed by well-trained physicians in neonates. Particular solutions (increase of the tilting angle of the bed, use of soft nitilon tip guide wire and the transfixation technique) can be sometimes requested to increase the success rate of our procedures. In accordance to these considerations, US-guided CVC placement should be probably considered as the first choice method for catheterization in infants.

References

  1. 1.

    Verghese S, McGill W, Patel R, Norden J, Ruttiman U: Internal jugular vein cannulation in infants: palpation vs imaging. Anestesiology 1996, 85: 1078.

    Google Scholar 

  2. 2.

    Leyvi G, Taylor D, Reith E, Wasnick J: Utility of ultrasound-guided central venous cannulation in pediatric surgical patients: a clinical series. Pediatr Anesth 2005, 15: 953-958.

    Article  Google Scholar 

Download references

Author information

Affiliations

Authors

Corresponding author

Correspondence to M Di Nardo.

Rights and permissions

This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits use, sharing, adaptation, distribution and reproduction in any medium or format, as long as you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons licence, and indicate if changes were made. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article's Creative Commons licence, unless indicated otherwise in a credit line to the material. If material is not included in the article's Creative Commons licence and your intended use is not permitted by statutory regulation or exceeds the permitted use, you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright holder. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated in a credit line to the data.

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Cite this article

Di Nardo, M., Stoppa, F., Tomasello, C. et al. Real-time ultrasound guidance for internal jugular vein catheterization in neonates: preliminary experience. Crit Care 15, P23 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1186/cc9443

Download citation

Keywords

  • Internal Jugular Vein
  • Central Venous Access
  • Intensive Care Treatment
  • Vein Cannulation
  • Left Internal Jugular Vein
\