- Poster presentation
- Open Access
Bariatric surgery postoperative management: complications in a series of 278 patients admitted to an intensive care unit
Critical Care volume 9, Article number: P42 (2005)
Morbid obesity is one of the most important public health problems these days, and bariatric surgery became an option to patients with body mass index of 35 or higher and obesity-related complications (hypertension, diabetes, etc.).
Patients and methods
We observed the postoperative period of these patients in our ICU during 10 months (n = 278) and their possible postoperative complications.
Found were athelectasy in 60%, surgical wound minor bleeding in 2.5%, pulmonary embolism in 0.35%, pneumonia in 1.43%, acute renal failure in 1.07%, rhabdomyolisis in 2.8%, peritonitis in 1.43%, respiratory failure in 2.5%, acute respiratory distress syndrome in 1.07%, cardiac arrhythmia in 1.43%, gastrointestinal fistula in 2.5%, acute myocardial infarction in 0.72%, lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage in 0.71%, and bowel obstruction in 0.71%. The death overall rate was 1.43%.
The most common postoperative complication was athelectasy, showing the need for a respiratory therapist at the bedside to perform non-invasive mechanical ventilation in the immediate postoperatorium period. Peritonitis was the worst complication, accounting for all deaths; the intensive care team must be prepared to immediately recognize and manage these cases. The results are in accord with those found in the recent medical literature.
About this article
Cite this article
Knibel, M., Muller, F., Hatum, R. et al. Bariatric surgery postoperative management: complications in a series of 278 patients admitted to an intensive care unit. Crit Care 9, P42 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1186/cc3105
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Acute Myocardial Infarction
- Respiratory Failure
- Acute Renal Failure